EXPLORATION OF SPIRIT/GOD
Saturday, May 2, 2020, 3:30 p.m. & Tuesday, May 5, 2020, 11:30 a.m. (via Zoom).
Come listen and discuss your thoughts and questions with other Ann Arbor Friends. The Statement from the Group of Nine that was presented in April Meeting for Worship with a Concern for Business (Sunday, April 19, 2020, 9:00 a.m.), asked for discernment about leading of the Spirit, it seems timely for us to explore together the nature of Spirit or God in our own experience.
For the May discussions, our time will be spent in sharing rather than with a lengthy reading. In preparation for this time together, you may wish to refer to your own favorite sources; the two that we suggest are:
- The Book of Joy by the Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu, pp. 329-348, “The 8 Pillars of Joy”. If you do not have access to a physical copy of the book, the ideas of how God can work in our lives are well presented in the following online resource: Eight Pillars of Joy, https://beliefnet.com/inspiration/the-eight-pillars-of-joy.aspx
- Last Testament of James Nayler, “There is a spirit which I feel that delights to do no evil …”. Online search provides many samples of the text (including even musical renditions). One of the websites – https://qfp.quaker.org.uk/passage/19-12/ – provides both the text and the biographical context in which Nayler experienced that opening to Spirit.
The discussion will be in the form of ‘Worship Sharing‘ on the following queries:
- Access: How do I best open to Spirit/God?
- Attributes: What words best describe the nature of Spirit/God?
- Acts: How does Spirit/God work in my life? What does Spirit/God not do?
Zoom connection information for this event is as follows: Zoom Link: https://zoom.us/j/92398341668 (Meeting ID: 994 4553 2926).
Please see the Meeting’s Reading and Discussion page for more information about the context, practice, and goals of ‘Reading and Discussion’.
Please see the Meeting’s Changes page for a comprehensive list of changes to worship, events, and Zoom connection information.